hipNews Fall 2018
- How We Spent Our Summer of 2018
- Thip’s Annual Meeting
- PHOTO PAGE
- Save the Date for the Holiday Party
- Have You Checked Out Our New Website?
- hip Thanks…
- We Mourn
- Welcome to hip!
- Coming Soon!!
- Join Us
- Personal Driver Available
- The 30th Anniversary of Bergen Bassmasters Fishing Outing
- Living a Healthy Life with Chronic Conditions
- Adam Krass, Assistive Technology Consultant
- A special thank you to hip’s new Life Members
- 2019 Medicare Enrollment/Change Period is Here!
- Special Quote
- Cooking Corner
- Stella the Duck
- Calendar of Events
How We Spent Our Summer of 2018
hip’s summer schedule of activities started right after our successful Dinner Dance and it seems like we never stopped making presentations, participating in fun activities and creating opportunities for individuals with disabilities to participate in their communities.
- We helped to support two big Bergen County events:
- The 2nd Annual Bergen County Care Fair
- The Celebration of the 40th Anniversary of the Bergen County Division of Disability Services
- Lunch-time chats about hip at the Wallington and Ridgefield Park Senior Centers where we highlighted our Care Management Programs, Modification Access Project (MAP) and Special Needs Assistance Program (SNAP).
- NJ Stakeholders Meeting where we began our discussions with the community of veterans about our Assistive Technology Grant
- Fort Lee’s “Proud to be Stigma Free” Day where we greeted members of the community to commemorate the designation of the borough as a Stigma Free Zone.
- Community Development Block Grant technical meeting. hip presented on the “Safe and Secure Solutions” Initiative that will repair/replace locks for people with disabilities and provide other safety measures.
- The 30th Annual Bassmasters Fishing Outing – About 15 hip members and two staffers spent the day enjoying the sunshine and the sport of fishing.
- The Aurora Nonprofit Challenge 5K Walk – This was the fourth time that the organization of concerned young people put the program together. The staff and members of the Board joined other organizations to raise funds for their specific causes.
- The Annual hip Picnic – The highlight of the summer, which is always fun for hip members and staff
- The 66 Days of Summer Calendar Raffle – We made our Friday noontime drawings special by having a different guest pick the tickets each week. Congratulations to our Grand Prize winner, Carol Dass!
- Fair Housing Celebration – hip staff joined the Fair Housing folks to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the agency that fights discrimination in housing. Sen. Cory Booker joined the celebration and gave special recognition to Lee Porter.
- Bergen County Workforce Development Board – hip’s presence is felt on the Executive Committee, Full Board and the Disabilities Sub-committee.
- Bergen County Departments and Divisions such as:
- Human Services
- Senior Services
- Disability Services
- We helped to support two big Bergen County events:
This August marked my first full year at hip and I can honestly say that every day was an opportunity to learn something new, establish important collaborations in both counties and spend time with our consumers. As I look forward to the next year I’m most excited to continue to work with the terrific staff members in our Bergen and Hudson offices. They are dedicated, committed and never turn down a challenge.
hip’s Annual Meeting
Join us at 7 p.m. on Thursday, November 8th at the Fort Lee Recreation Center for our Annual Meeting! Attendees will mingle, enjoy a light supper and learn all about the hip accomplishments this past year. President/CEO Brian Fitzgibbons will welcome Michael Dressler, Bergen County Surrogate, as our keynote speaker. The evening will also include election and re-election to the Board of Trustees.
The staff members from both Bergen and Hudson CILs will meet and greet attendees. We look forward to seeing everyone there!
Aurora Nonprofit Challenge 5K Walkathon – Saturday, June 16th at the Ridgewood Duck Pond
hip Annual Summer Picnic – Tuesday, June 16th at the Englewood Boat Basin
Eileen Goff presents her Russ Berrie Award to hip on Friday, May 4th
Picking 66 $unny Day$ of $ummer Calendar Raffle winners
Jersey City Vision Loss Support Group on Thursday, August 30th
Empowering Women Support Group outing to the Bergen County Van Saun Zoo on Thursday, September 13th
Save the Date
Save the Date for the Holiday Party on Sunday, December 16th from 12-4 p.m. at the DoubleTree Hotel in Fort Lee. Join us for a wonderfully festive celebration of the season!
hip receives many contributions from individuals and the community throughout the year. We thank the following for their recent exceptional generosity:
Leonia Lions Club
NJ State Knights of Columbus
River Edge Lions Club
We also thank all those who supported our “Big Easy” Dinner Dance, the 66 $unny Day$ of $ummer Calendar Raffle, and hip’s participation in the Aurora Nonprofit Challenge Walkathon.
Olga Melgarejo, mother of hip staff member Maria Smith, who passed away in May.
Angel Aguilera, Gary Lemburg and Tyrone Towers, longtime members and friends of hip who passed away in April.
Joyce Rizzo, friend of hip who passed away in June.
Alicia Facchino, friend of hip who passed away in September.
Welcome to hip!
Tamara joined the Bergen hip staff in July as a Care Manager at the Bergen CIL. A graduate of UMDNJ, she has worked in the nonprofit sector for over 10 years. Tamara is a Care Manager and Support Coordinator for the DDD program.
Tamara resides in Bloomfield with her husband and son. In her free time, she enjoys spending time with her family and traveling.
Jennyfer joined the Hudson hip staff in July as a Youth Transition Case Manager. Jennyfer is currently a senior at New Jersey City University, her major is Public Health Education. Jennyfer’s passion for the youth began when she attended an event called Save the Youth which was sponsored by Hudson CMO. She began working at New Care Associates as an individual support technician where she helped the youth with their activities of daily living.
Jennyfer resides in Jersey City with her husband and son. In her free time she enjoys reading, traveling and spending time with her loved ones.
Jennifer joined the Hudson hip staff in May as a Case Manager. Jennifer earned a Bachelor’s degree in Urban Studies & Public Policy from Saint Peters University, Associate’s in Human Services from Hudson County Community College, and plans to obtain her Master’s in Public Administration. She worked as a respite caregiver which gave her insight on working with individuals with disabilities. In her spare time, she likes to volunteer towards helping the less fortunate.
A resident of Jersey City, Jennifer enjoys reading poetry, making people laugh, and spending time with loved ones. One day she hopes to start an organization to help the less fortunate and emotionally distressed throughout Hudson County.
Safe and Secure Solutions
2019 hip memberships begin October 1st!
Please send back the enclosed form with your dues to renew your membership for the upcoming year!
Personal Driver Available
Call Eileen Rogers 201-637-2230 (references provided upon request)
The 30th Anniversary of Bergen Bassmasters Fishing Outing
Saturday, June 2nd was a hot and sunny day – perfect for fishing! A group of hip members, along with groups from around the county, spent a few hours fishing at Darlington County Park in Mahwah. With the expert guidance of the Bergen Bassmasters, people were catching fish all over the place!
An entertaining DJ, abundant supply of drinks and food, and prizes finished off the day, when gold medals were awarded to all of the participants. Christopher Gagliardi also took home a trophy for “Strangest Catch” – which was quite a thrill for all the hippies!
Thank you to the Bergen Bassmasters and the sponsors for this wonderful event!
Living a Healthy Life with Chronic Conditions
Recently Jayne Jacobs and Maria Valentin from the Bergen CIL hosted a six-week workshop to help people to better manage chronic symptoms, work with healthcare professionals, set weekly goals, problem solve, eat well and exercise safely and easily.
The workshop was titled “Take Control of Your Health” and was created by the Stanford University Chronic Disease Self-Management Program. The attendees learned a lot and we look forward to hosting this program again next year!
Adam Krass, Assistive Technology Consultant
Adam Krass, Assistive Technology Consultant, will be presenting at the Learning Disabilities Association of New Jersey Fall Conference & Resource Expo on Sunday, November 11, 2018. The conference will take place at The College of New Jersey (TCNJ) Education Building at 2000 Pennington Road, Ewing, NJ. For more information call (732) 645-2738 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
A special thank you to hip’s new Life Members,
Philip & Linda Webster Cennerazzo!
2019 Medicare Enrollment/Change Period is Here!
It is important to know that the time has come for open enrollment for all individuals who would like to make changes to their Medicare coverage.
For 2019 Medicare coverage, open enrollment is from October 15th to December 7th.
(You can switch your Part D or Medicare Advantage plan.)
If you’re already enrolled in a Medicare Part D prescription plan or a Medicare Advantage Plan and you don’t want to make changes to your coverage for 2019, you don’t need to do anything during open enrollment, assuming your current plan will still be available in 2019. If your plan is being discontinued and isn’t eligible for renewal, you will receive a non-renewal notice from your carrier prior to open enrollment. If you don’t, it means you can keep your plan without doing anything during open enrollment.
Be aware that your benefits and premium could be changing for 2019. So even if you’re confident that you want to keep your current coverage for the coming year, it’s important to make sure you understand any changes that may apply, and that you’ve double checked to make sure that your current plan is still the best available option. The available plans and what they cover changes from one year to the next, so even if the plan you have now was the best option when you shopped last year, it’s important to verify that again before you lock yourself in for another year.
For assistance please contact the Bergen or Hudson hip CILs – our case managers are here to help!
“The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched – they must be felt with the heart.”
– Helen Keller
Turkey Chili Stuffed Acorn Squash
What happens when you stuff an acorn squash with turkey chili? You have an edible bowl that’s not just good for you, it tastes great too!
- 2 acorn squash, halved, seeded
- 1 pound 93% lean ground turkey
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/3 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 10 ounces canned Rotel mild tomatoes with green chilies
- 1/2 cup canned tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 tablespoons shredded sharp cheese
- fresh cilantro, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400F degrees. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick spray.
- Place squash halves on the baking sheet, cut sides down. Bake until soft, 30 to 35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, brown turkey over medium-high heat, breaking it up as it cooks into smaller pieces and season with salt and pepper.
- When meat is browned and cooked through add onion and garlic; cook 3 minutes over medium heat.
- Add the can of Rotel tomatoes, tomato sauce, water, cumin, chili powder, paprika, and bay leaf.
- Cover and simmer over medium-low heat about 25 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Remove bay leaf, flip the squash over and fill each half with 3/4 cup chili.
- Top with cheese and bake until melted, about 5 minutes. Top with cilantro.
To reheat, bake in a 350F oven 20 to 25 minutes or until heated through.
Stella the Duck
Stella the duck (and her 9 eggs) had taken up residence in the planter outside the Bergen CIL office in early June. All of us at hip were thrilled to meet her adorable ducklings after they hatched on July 4th! They took off for the river the next afternoon. We’ll miss our little duck family but wish them well!
CALENDAR OF EVENTS
Support Group Meetings
11 a.m. – 1 p.m.
Empowering Women – Support Group meets every month on the second Thursday at the Bergen hip office.
9 a.m. – 12 p.m.
Adam Krass, assistive technology consultant, meets with individuals one-on-one to demonstrate devices and discuss
applications. Call the Bergen CIL for an appointment.
11 a.m. – 1 p.m
The Book Club meets each month at the Bergen hip office to socialize while discussing books previously chosen and offering ideas for future reading choices.
hip Bergen Consumer Meeting
October 18 7 p.m.
hip Annual Meeting
November 8 7 p.m.
hip Annual Holiday Party
December 16 12 p.m.
Adjustment to Vision Loss Support Groups
Fort Lee Group 10 a.m. – Noon
Washington Township 10 a.m. – Noon
Secaucus 10 a.m. – Noon
North Arlington 10 a.m. – Noon
Jersey City 10 a.m. – Noon
Young Adult Telephone Support Group 7:30-9pm
Adult Telephone Support Group 7:30-9pm
In case of inclement weather, call the hip office to see if the event/meeting will be held.